Sunday 29 July 2012

Home made soap

This is what happens when I get bored; I make stuff. :)  This is my first completely successful batch of soap.  To the left is an example of one that has just come out of the mould.  It is free from unnatural colours and fragrances and made from Virgin olive oil, water and 100% pure lavender oil.  It smells so nice.

Then problem is I now have too many so I'm attempting to offload some on ebay.

Making soaps seems almost theraputic in some ways.  It was fairly okay except I wasn't as careful when mixing the caustic soda as I should have been.  Got myself a mouthful of the gases that came off the water.  The irony is when I did the first batch I didn't have that problem because I was right next to a large open window when I mixed the soda with the water.  The second batch I mixed in the kitchen with a open window and an open door but the ventilation in the kitchen is no where near as good as in my bedroom clearly.  However, I choose to mix the soda with the water in the kitchen so I didn't damage any of my things if it spilt.  Will just have to give up and wait for my mask to get here.

2 comments:

  1. to make sure the caustic soda and water don't affect the container, use a glass pickle jar. a half gallon will provide the space for water and soda and will not break. you also have to make sure that the temperature of the soda water and the oil are nearly the same around 90F (you'll have to convert that to C for yourself) then pour it into the fats and stir until it "ribbons" then pour it into the moulds. have fun. you did a good job. ps. you know me, I sent you the link for the soap recipes. hehehee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Becky :) I've had success combining the oils with the lye water (calling it soda water makes me thirsty) at 50 degrees Celsius (122F) Although it will be easier to handle at 90F and better for the blender, thinking about it. I'm finding it easier to judge that trace point with practice Sometimes the colour makes it hard to see the ribbons. I got the suggestion about the Baby soap. I've been using a glass jar for the lye water but using a baking tin for the combined oil/lye mix. It has discoloured one and ripped the coating off another. oops

    ReplyDelete